How to Clean Solar Panels
An important part of owning a solar power setup is making sure that your solar panels remain free of dust, leaves and other debris that builds up over time. An excessive amount of rubbish on the surface of your panels will hinder their ability to efficiently absorb sunlight and jeopardise the performance of your system.
Here’s a guide on how best to clean and maintain your panels.
Do’s and Don’ts of Cleaning Solar Panels
- Don’t ever put your safety at risk. Avoid climbing up onto the roof unless you have sufficient safety gear.
- Always consult the manual of your solar installation to obtain instructions that are specific to your brand of panel. Some brands may advise a distinct method of cleaning.
- Don’t make it a habit of washing your solar panels in the daytime as the silicon-based material has a tendency to become very hot. Instead, opt to clean them early in the morning, or late in the afternoon, when the weather’s cooled down a bit.
- The humble garden hose can achieve great results and is typically all that’s needed to clean your panels. If there is excess dirt and debris, use a bucket of soapy water and remove the refuse using a squeegee. One with an extendable handle is preferable.
- Refrain from using hard instruments or caustic solutions in a bid to remove stubborn grime. Doing so could permanently damage the solar panels, reducing their effectiveness.
Handy Tip – unless you reside in an environment that has an inordinate amount of dust or grime in the air, then keeping your panels clean shouldn’t be a serious concern. All present day solar panels are now equipped with a special coating that protects them against unwanted environment residue. Unless your panels have tacked on gunk, a bit of rainfall is more than enough to keep them clean and in perfect working order.
The Key to Maintaining a Healthy Solar Power System
There’s more to keeping your solar installation running smoothly than just ensuring that your panels remain clean. What’s most important is that the key electrical accessories that make up your system are in good working order. It’s strongly advisable to have your installation examined and assessed by a certified professional on an annual basis.
At First Choice Solar, our highly trained technicians can come and perform a comprehensive solar maintenance assessment for you, regardless of whether or not your solar power unit was installed by us or another vendor. Included with the assessment is a thorough examination of all your key components, such as your inverter and of course your panels.
All system parts are evaluated to ensure that they are functioning in an optimal manner and that there are no visible signs of deterioration. In addition to inspecting and testing the parts of your solar setup, we can also clean your panels for you. This is particularly useful for people who either lack the time to clean their panels themselves or whose panels are difficult to get to and would pose a significant danger to their personal safety if they attempted to do it themselves.
Having a yearly maintenance service is the best way to ensure that your solar installation is functioning correctly and delivering maximum solar output for your household or business.
Contact First Choice Solar
If you’re unable to safely clean your solar panels on your own, seek the professional help of our qualified technicians by contacting the team at First Choice Solar today on 1300 356 881.